Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Friday, July 4, 2014

Saying Goodbye to Chiang Mai

Happy Independence Day America! That flag was as close as I could come to red, white and blue. God Bless America. Each time I leave the country, I realize what a remarkable free country we have. Even though I am very disappointed with the leader of the free world, our country remains the envy of the rest of the world. 2016 is just around the corner. It was an amazing few days here in northern Thailand. It was refreshing and the solitude of yesterday made everything right. I have noticed that the readership on weekends is very low for the blog, so I will keep today's blog short. I took a walk around the old city of "Lanna". I mentioned the wall and moat that were built to protect the city in 1200 AD, but the thickness of the wall with 4 inch brick was 18 feet! The moat that was had dug is 8 feet deep by 25 feet wide. BELOW: The orchids that are grown here were a replacement crop that was ordered by the king. He was very opposed to the growing and sale of opium in the 60's and 70's and encourage the growth of orchids, with a large payment to those growers if they discontinued growing opium. It is still grown in the deep forest of Thailand and Burma and is a multi billion dollar a year crop. They are both equally beautiful flowers but the possible addiction to opium is non-existent with orchids. I suppose the smell might be addictive to some. I was looking for a restaurant to have lunch when I heard the screaming of children. It was a recess sound as all you teachers know well. There was a temple, a school and a playground. I decided to cross the street and visit. Unlike USA schools, the people are so very trusting. I ventured onto the playground and the kids were playing instruments, volleyball and just talking with friends. I tried to talk to several teachers but something was lost in my Thai dialect. As I was about to leave, the headmaster asked who I was. I told him I sent by the King to see their school. He stood up straight and saluted.(NOW WHAT? What a time to understand English). He took my arm and brought me to a room with students moving onto a stage and giving their accomplishments for the day. It took over half an hour and I was amazed with the patience and structure that involved with all 50 students. I felt I had seen enough after 90 minutes and told the headmaster "Khrup Kuhn Khrup", thank you in Thai. We bowed and I departed before he could call security and find out that I was not sent by the King. ABOVE: I had an "au roy", delicious supper last night. Fried noodles Thai style with braised shrimp. It was spicy and the shrimp spring roles were also very, very good. I brought my own Mangosteens to the restaurant and borrowed their cutting knife to eat them. The table next to me ordered this futuristic beer keg/cooler for their table. 6 liters of Chang beer. It is a very popular beer and the name means "Lion" in Thai. I will leave Chiang Mai in the morning on Thai Airways at 7 AM. Again, Happy 4th of July. Remember how lucky we all are to live in the wonderful United States of America! UPDATE: I just had a knock at my hotel door and they delivered some fresh fruit to my room. I am excited to try them. I just have to figure out what parts to eat. I am good with the mangosteens but.............

No comments:

Post a Comment