Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Packing day for Chiang Mai and Golf

KEvNGL7pI/AAAAAAAABVc/1E-3xruM5_k/s400/100_4154.JPG" /> Every time that I went to the golf course(1 mile by golf cart) I was saluted by the security force that works at Krung Kavee. They salute and I salute back along with SAA WHAT DEE (Hello). Other residents of Krung Kavee are too pompous to even recognize the guards. They are lower in the caste system and do not warrant recognition. That is an issue that I have with the Buddhist Faith. In Thailand, there is not that American dream of being anything you want. Your social place in society rarely changes from one generation to another. There are 2% of the population known to us as upper class. There is no middle class society. Lower class is over 90% of the population. Thailand has become very self-sufficient in agriculture, which keeps the cost of eating the one luxury that all people share. I was asked about the cost of gasoline. At the "ESSO" station, it was 900 baht per liter equaling nearly 12 dollars per gallon. Most vehicles use propane at 1/4 the price. Large shipping trucks all use propane with their 8-12 tanks seen right behind the cab of the truck. A drawback is a massive explosion if there is an accident. Both vehicles above use propane. The workers above are harvesting Lotus into their boats, which is much sought after for Thai cooking. The man beneath the netting is repairing the net to keep the birds from eating the fish. The sign shows "Koi" fish. I hope the guy in the boat does not sew himself in. He may have forgotten about that small detail. The last photo of the lady with the hat will always be memorable. I hoped off my golf cart and asked to take her picture. I then wanted to have reverse rolls with me holding the hoe and dirt scoop. She had never used a camera before. She held it wrong twice and took a picture of her chest(backwards) The picture of myself,(which I checked when I returned to the house) was actually of the sky. She understood what I was saying but the operation of the camera was foreign to her. It seems so simple to us but this was too difficult for her to master in ten minutes. AND......It would be unheard of for a person higher up in their caste system to want a picture in a lesser role. I have not played my proper role since arriving here in Thailand. I do have an update on the "ENDANGERED TOUCAN" and will share that with you soon. It is quite a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment