Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Monday, June 30, 2014

Last Day in Bangkok

Finally, the last day of June is also the last day that I will need to be in the vibrant, excessive, populous, and friendly city of Bangkok, Thailand. You can get whatever you want if you smile like a Thai and carry a full wallet. My last visit to the hospital was brief. One more freeze and check-up and I was almost out the door but not until a group of 7 nurses surrounded me, put their hands together and all at once said; "Krup Khun Krup" and bowed.(thank you) Something very unusual happened after that......I was hugged by each of the nurses. Thai people do not hug!! Ponsak's wife will not let me hug her and I have known her for 10 years. My first day at the hospital I gave my nurse a hug. Each treatment I had the nurse hold my hand and gave a hug. They never initiated it until today. It was very touching and I was a little emotional from it all. My new theory is that if you are going to learn a new language, you need to be totally immersed into that language and culture. I had three years of French in high school but it was really a joke. You must be forced to only use that language to literally get what you need. Hotel, towel, food (many kinds), golf, taxi, pay for the Loot fi far(train), change of money, and the list is endless. I had very pretty nurses so you must learn to say; Coon sway mak, you are beautiful. I have been on my own with anyone to translate for me in the city and I used it as an incentive to learn as much Thai as possible. It was just amazing to be in a city with 99% of the people not speaking any of your language. The tall building has an all you can eat on Saturday, including Maine lobster. The restaurant is on the very top floor and is the tallest building in Bangkok until a new high rise will replace it in 2016. My Durian story is yet to come. It was deleted from the blog but will return. UPDATE: It was an anticipation that built and built for many days. I was apprehensive but anxious to try this "forbidden fruit". I was also thinking about what a major letdown this will be if it is not a delicacy. I went to the Paragon Mall in Bangkok. It is the largest mall in the country. Very high prices, but you can find any European, Asian, American style you can think of. This is the mall that sells peaches for 4 dollar each. My sole goal after the hospital was to buy some Durian and try this fruit. I went into the Paragon Market to look for some of the spiny fruit and was not disappointed. The ladies were cutting up the fruit and taking out the center of the fruit. It is only 20 percent edible. All the stories and folklore about this fruit was about to face the real test. I bought 1/2 a kilogram (about 24 ounces). I was going to bring it back to my hotel but my curiosity got the best of me. I went out into the food court and ordered a glass of milk. I unwrapped the Durian and cut a one inch piece and tried it with great reservation. Oh My God, or for those who text(OMG). Most things in life can be compared to something else that has been a prior experience or schemata. NOT THIS! I was having this euphoric feeling that was the result of my taste buds experiencing something that had never experienced before. OK, I see the the intrigue for this fruit!!! The dried fruit can be transported by airplane but the fresh fruit will be confiscated. Many fruits in Thailand can only be brought back to the USA if it is dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment