Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The adventure begins

I was up yesterday at 7:00 AM after a very good nights sleep. I headed down to the front office to get a cup of coffee. On my way back to my room, I noticed a can of Barbasol shaving cream in the storage room of the hotel. The door was cracked just enough to see the shaving cream and the woman folding sheets. I asked if I could borrow the shaving cream since I forgot to bring mine. She told me to take the can and to not worry about returning it. She made my day, so I thought. I showered and shaved and then returned to the office to have a delicious continental breakfast of coffee, 1 jelly donut, 1 coconut donut and 1 glazed donut. The description on the hotel website described their continental breakfast as "delicious". It was enough of a sugar rush to get me on the bus and to the airport. I arrived at the airport 3 hours ahead of my flight time(they recommend 2.5 hours for all international flights). I checked in and headed to security. Took off my shoes, my belt, my pocket watch, my gold crucifix and everything out of my pockets. I passed the test after I held my hands above my head and was patted down. My carry on bag and misc. things were being carried off the conveyer belt by security. I was told to follow security into a backroom with no windows and a solid steel door. I was asked if I had any illegal items in my bag. No sir, I said. He then proceeded to unzip my carry on bag and felt around and under my nicely folded clothes. He then said aloud, "I know it is in here". I asked what he was looking for. He responded, "sit down and don't move". He called in another security guy who took every garment out of my bag one by one and messed up my nice folding job. I asked again, "what are you looking for". They said again, "we know it is in here and we will find it. After my clothes were in total disarray, they came to my bathroom bag. In the bathroom bag was a plastic bag that they pulled out to inspect. Do you remember that nice lady at the hotel who game me the shaving cream? Well, these guys did not think it was a good idea to have it and they gathered my things together and I was told to follow them. By now, my clothes were shoved into my carry on bag and a mess. I wondered what was going to happen to me, miss my flight, arrested or maybe a firing squad. They took me to a bench back outside the interrogation room and said "here you go, you are ready to go". I knew that aerosol cans were not allowed but I hurried to pack at the hotel and shut out airport and thought free shaving cream. I am glad I gave myself 3 hours, b/c now it was 60 minutes until flight time and boarding had already begun to fill the 424 passengers on the Boeing 747. The first leg of my trip was a flight was from Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (12 hours in the air). The second leg of the trip was Tokoyo to Bangkok (7 hours in the air). During the flights I had 2 breakfasts and 3 suppers. Countless snacks and hand sanitizers were also handed out in flight. I slept 9 hours of the flights and felt well rested upon arrival into Bangkok. My friend, Ponsak was there and greeted me with a hug. Brazil was playing the first game of the world cup at 3:00 AM and Ponsak bets high stakes on this one event every four years. Needless to say, we stayed up to watch the game. It was not the ending Ponsak wanted. It is now 6 AM and it makes more sense to stay up and go to play golf and retire early this evening. Sunrise is 5:55am. The maids are making breakfast and we are going golfing. Below are pictures of Ponsak' new home built on the golf course in Bangkok. Some of the tropical fish are over 5 pounds and eat out of your hand. I will go into further detail on the next post about the fish since they are bred and raised on 400 acres adjacent to my friend's house. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment