Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Little Language Lesson in Thai

For anyone traveling to Thailand, I have put together a short list of terms that I most often use. Thai Language and Phrases The more important words and phrases listed below are all you might need to know for a short vacation in Thailand. Just remember to speak in a clear voice and ever so slower. Please note that words or phrases take the suffix kha should the speaker be female and khrap should the speaker be male. Here is a quick lesson from the teacher in me. Sawaddee Kha (you as the female speaking) Hello or Goodbye Sawaddee Khrap (you as the male speaking) Hello or Goodbye Khawp Khun Kha (you as the female speaking) Thank you Khawp Khun Khrap ( you as the male speaking) Thank you Are you beginning to get the idea of how it works? Just follow the simple male /female speakings terms and after a few mistakes you will in time, master the correct pronunciations. I am still learning the Thai language all the time myself, so don't feel bad. Besides when you make a mistake, Thai's may be a little amused but they will give you 10 out of 10 for trying. It will almost certainly open up a few new doors and avenues. You only need to ask and Thai's will gladly help put things right for you. Have some fun with it and enjoy the pleasantries that go with it. Just remember the Khrap and Kha component and you're almost there. You pronounce Kha as in Ka and Khrap as in Krup Okay! I feel it is only fair that if we visit their country that we attempt to speak their language. Did you hear that Spanish Americans???? When I went to Mexico, I tried my best to speak the language. Thai Language and Phrases Chai Yes Mai No Sabai dee mai? How are you? Sabai dee I'm fine You nai...? Where is...? Yaak pai... I want to go... Hawng nam Bathroom Taw rai...? How much...? Paeng marg Too expensive Khun cheu arai khrap? What is your name? (Male speaking) Khun cheu arai kha? What is your name? (Female speaking) Leou khwa Turn right Leou sai Turn left Trong pai Straight ahead Yoot tee nee Stop here Wan nee Today Meua wan nee Yesterday Proong nee Tomorrow Rawng ram Hotel Raan ahaan Restaurant Sathanee tamruat Police station Prai-sannee Post Office Rong phaya-bahn Hospital Sanam bin Airport Kreung bin Aeroplane Sathanee rot fai Train station Sathanee rot meh Bus station Taksee Taxi Rot Car Reua Boat Hew nam Thirsty Nam Water Hew kao Hungry Ahaan Food Neua Beef Gai Chicken Moo Pork Plaa Fish Cafe Coffee Cha Tea Khao Rice Pahk Vegetables Kai Egg Pohlamai Fruit Boredom set in and I put my time to good use. I hope this helps anyone who is making their first trip to Siam.

No comments:

Post a Comment