Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Sunday, June 29, 2014

PARTY TIME

I stayed up to watch the Brazil/Chile soccer game. It concluded after a double overtime and a shootout at 2:00 AM. I am preparing for jet lag. I hope that all my Gifted students who are watching the World Cup are showing off their geographical knowledge about South America. I was very, very proud of your ability to identify all the countries of Central America and South America this spring. Several times I was asked, "why do I need to know this?" I hope you can now understand why. The party was a huge success. It so happened that I was the only American represented at the party. I did my best to make America proud. My boys will often ask, "are we eating Thai style tonight". That means all the dishes are shared among everyone at the table and you pick from the Lazy Susan. Below is an example of a Thai style meal with goose, chicken, pork, sea bass, lotus won ton, black and white rice. Everything on the table was delicious. Above is Poon, Ponsak's daughter and her friend Art. I have noticed over my several times of being in Thailand that it is not important to people if their meal is hot or not when they eat it. The food above was on the table for twenty minutes before we began eating. Drinking and talking always come first, then you can eat your meal. I do most of the cooking at home and demand that everyone come immediately to the table to eat when the food comes out of the oven. Coldness does a disservice to the food you just spent so much tie preparing. The Thai's justify waiting to eat by saying the tropical heat keeps the food warm enough to eat and that cool food is more palatable since it gives the person eating a break from the heat. I will be adding to the adventures of the day with a second post later. The internet here is extremely slow because the Thai people have to be online with their Iphones or apple computer at all times. This is making the internet ridiculously slow. Also, incredible update on the fruit Durian. Continued..................The party was just a social get together for the Poopatanapong's friends who live in several different countries including the USA (Boca Raton, FL). During our meal we had a conversation about the spiny fruit called Durian. Six different families and they all knew someone who died from eating the fruit. They mixed alcohol with eating the fruit and it becomes a deadly combination. It is a very interesting fruit but it has too many negative consequences to become attached to. I will have to try it and give a report on my blog in the upcoming days. Ponsak has three daughters. Poon, Pom and Bo are their names. They range from 23-18 years of age. I want to add these pictures of them to update my family on how quickly they have become young ladies. They always ask about Deb, Dalton and Garrett. There must have been a surplus of gray Mercedes Benz cars in Thailand because the first five cars to show up at the house were exactly that. I am constantly going to get into the driver's side of cars and taxi's here in Thailand. The driver is on the right side or passenger side of American cars. Labor is so cheap that there is little need for modern machines to do any of the work that a man or woman can do. These guys are spreading lime on the golfing greens. The broadcast of the lime seems very wasteful with much of it blowing away in the air. That is why a low drop spreader is used to apply lime to a lawn or field. The owner of the golf course has this secluded pen way off in the woods. I took a walk with Ponsak's brother, Chai Yung and came across it. Daring, I took some pictures of the birds that were cooped up in the pens. There were Toucans, doves, Peacocks and Peahens. I was interested in the bizarre look of the Toucan. I read on the internet that these are a protected species in Thailand and holding them in captivity is against the law. Inspector Shost will get to the bottom of this. I hate to see anything in a cage anyway. This is the same guy that raises thousands if not millions of the exotic colorful fish. That was a two hour post. Very slow internet. Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment