Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Party Preparation

I am headed back to Rang Sit today to stay with Ponsak for the weekend. The family is having a big party for a friend who is Thai but lives in Boca Raton, Florida. She is married to a man from India who is a professor from India. I told Ponsak that I would help with the preparations for the party. Last night I went to bed at 8pm. The hospital gave me six sleeping pills. I took one and woke up at 10:00 AM. I had not slept like that for many years. The phone rang at 10 AM to tell me my taxi was there. I showered and packed in 4 minutes. I checked out and headed back "home". My taxi driver Sujinda(he has become my personal chauffeur when I need him)gave me my best lesson in Thai. I learned 50 new phases and I can count to 100,000. He has a wife who is pregnant with their first child and he works 16 hours a day to pay bills, 7 days a week. His goal is to make 32,000 baht or one thousand dollars per month. When I was back home I noticed that my avocado was looking ripe. Sure enough it was getting soft so I decided to try it. Just like the peach, delicious, Au Roi! and, just like I said in an earlier blog, the avocado ripens once it is picked from the tree. Five days ago, the avocado was hard as a rock. Today, perfect. A couple days ago, I was coming out of a MBK shopping mall(check it out online)and a Tuk tuk driver said he would get me back to the hotel for 100 baht, 3 dollars. He told me we had to make one stop and I would have to go into the tailors shop so he would get a stamp. All the Tuk tuk drivers are hooked up with businesses and basically force riders to visit the shop. I was quite angry at him and I think he knew it but he wanted the stamp to show he is bringing them customers. Well, two stops. We had to get LPG for his Tuk tuk. When we arrived at the tailors, I knew this was going to cost me money. I went inside and "Sawatdee Khrup.(Hello) He asked if he could help me and my eyes became fixated on the ties, not Thais, and asked how much to make some ties. He said four would cost about 44 dollars. He had pre-made ties that I really liked for 500 baht. I chose the 4 I liked, paid and got back on the tuk tuk. The driver got his stamp and actually brought a sale to the shop and everyone went home happy. Temples abound in Thailand and the Thai people are very respectful of the temples. This temple shown here is only a mile away from Ponsak's house. It is really beautiful. The fine detail to every aspect of it boggles the mind. Males must wear long pants and collar shirt, Ladies must wear a dress below the knees and no shoulders exposed. It is all out of respect. If you are in the area on Sunday(remember we are a day ahead of you), stop by and join the party. Ponsak Poopatanapong, Krung Kavee, Rang Sit, Thailand. Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment