Time in Thailand



Bangkok

Thursday, June 19, 2014

In the city

I am in Bangkok for the entire day and night. They estimate that there is less than an acre, about a football field, 43,560 sq. FEET that does not have tar or cement. That is in a 3 square mile range from the center of Bangkok. Many residents wear face masks to keep the pollution out of their lungs. That said, yesterday, a 60-70 year old man was jogging in 95 degree temps amidst 8 lanes of traffic. He was a westerner. I am staying at the Dawin Hotel in Bangkok. The service is 5 star! My walk to the Skytrain is about 1/4 of a mile. Along the route, there are many beggars. Some are old, some are physically disabled with amputated legs and others are young boys begging for food. I gave an old lady of 90 years a dollar this morning. I was surrounded by a swarm of young boys all chomping to show me they wanted money to buy food. There were 7 or 8 of them but I said I only give to old ladies, but they continued to follow and beg for money. I finally made it to the hotel and they dispersed. I found a tailor shop to have some ties made. Only makes sense, I am in Thailand. I picked out the material and they handcraft the tie. I will pick them up tomorrow. They will be posted on the blog at that time. Every McDonalds has Ronald greeting it's customers. The Tuk Tuk taxi is very, very popular in Bangkok. They use the Tuk Tuk in most all travel brochures.

No comments:

Post a Comment